Sini Mathews, the Texas adoptive mother of Sherin, 3-year-old girl who had died by being choked on milk by Sini’s husband, was arrested on Thursday.
The couple had adopted Sherin from India but failed to display patience while raising her. Based on the information provided by the adoptive father, Wesley Matthews on October 7, Sherin refused to drink her milk, which is why she was sent outside for discipline. His story goes on telling that when he went out to retrieve her at 3:00 am, the girl was nowhere to be found.
After days of roaming the woods in search of the little girl, the police found her body in a storm drain on October 22. An investigation started to find out how exactly Sherin died.
The investigation included looking into receipts and phone records to uncover the real story.
As a result, it was revealed that Wesley’s story didn’t match the reality. On October 6, Wesley Matthews could not convince the girl to drink her milk, so the couple left Sherin in the kitchen while they went out to dinner with their 4-year-old biological daughter. When they returned one and a half hour later, the girl, who had developmental and communication issues, was still in the kitchen. Later that day in the garage, Wesley continued his attempts to get Sherin to drink milk. Failing again, he “physically assisted” her, as a result of which Sherin choked on milk. When Wesley noticed that her pulse was gone, he removed the body from the house.
Wesley Matthews was arrested on suspicion of child endangerment, his bail is set at $1 million. Wesley’s wife, Sini Matthews was also arrested for leaving her adopted daughter alone in the house, which placed Sherin under "imminent danger of death, bodily injury, or physical or mental impairment.” Her bail is set at $250,000.